Thursday, August 16, 2012

That Possible Insight...

As I was chatting with my friend, who happens to be a Psychology student, minutes ago (currently 1:03 am), I mentioned to her that I "might" have OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder). Might because I'm not sure yet since I haven't consulted a shrink and therefore rely on the information I read in Wikipedia. So much for self-diagnosis. Based on our conversation much ,much earlier before I mentioned about the OCD, she told me I have insights... which means I showed signs that I might really have an OCD or at least that's what I interpreted on what she said.

Excessive 'Hair plucking'
 - an action that is on the Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum.

 Based on what I read in Wikipedia months ago, excessive hair plucking and nail biting are on the Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum. And as what was written in Wikipedia:
 "Individuals with OCD are aware that their thoughts and behavior are not rational, but they feel bound to comply with them to fend off feelings of panic or dread."

Excessive 'Nail Biting' 
- an action that is on the
Obsessive-Compulsive Spectrum as well.



I bite my nails and pluck my hair most of the time, usually when I'm nervous or when I am thinking very hard especially during exams, quizzes and even during recitations. And as what was quoted above, I know that what I'm doing is irrational but I somehow find it helpful to me. I can't think at all without biting my nails (and if you are curious, yes, I somehow bite my nails while doing this). I pluck my hair when I am bored but I don't find overdoing it as much as nail biting. Actually, I think I was able to stop myself from plucking my hair unknowingly.


When I first read about OCD in Wikipedia, I told Daddy (a friend I call 'daddy' for some reason) about these compulsive actions that I do. He told me to try to stop nail biting and hair plucking as much as possible and not to think about it since it will make me more anxious (thanks for that daddy!). Well I do believe in what he said besides, the more I think about it, the more likely I nail bite and make the situation worst. For now, I won't hold on to those information that I read and start on doing something about my unstoppable nail biting problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...